EARTH DAY FAIR
Presented by Greenbelt, Essex County’s Land Trust and Community Partners
Essex, MA —- On Sunday, April 26th from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Essex County Greenbelt will be hosting its second annual Earth Day festival in collaboration with numerous community non-profit organizations. This will be a fun, interactive and informative family-friendly event at Greenbelt’s Cox Reservation headquarters in Essex. The theme of the fair this year will be pollinators. Visitors will learn more about bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, flowers and how pollination is key to a healthy environment.
The event will showcase local non-profit organizations that share a commitment to building an environmentally sustainable community. Jonathan Mirin of the Piti Theater Company will be performing his original show “The Story of My Bees” at 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. This 25 minute storytelling event uses puppetry, clowning, dance, music and audience participation to tell Farmer James’ comic, tragic and ultimately hopeful story. The Piti Theater’s shows give children and adults tools for helping pollinators thrive in their communities.
Our community partners will offer hands-on activities for the whole family to learn about butterflies, flowers, bees, beekeeping and pollinators in general. Visitors will get a “passport” to have stamped as they make a bee-line around the fair learning about different aspects of the world of pollination. Those who complete the passport will get a special prize!
Some of the day’s activities and partners include:
•“The Story of My Bees” puppet show at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm
• Learn about monarch butterflies / Mass Audubon/Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary
• Learn about carpenter bees / Essex Shipbuilding Museum
• Discover pollinators in art and paint with watercolors / Cape Ann Museum
• Interactive activity / North Andover Wildlife Tea
• Plant seeds for your pollinator garden / Next Step Living
• See an observation hive / Tomten Beeworks
• Learn about hummingbirds / Kestrel Educational Adventures
• Explore bees and butterflies under a microscope / Manchester Essex Conservation Trust
• Hear music from Tom “Satch” Kerans from 11:00-12:00 pm, The Tree House Charlatans 12:00-1:00 pm, and Olivia Gale 1:00-2:00 pm
• And much, much more!!
Bring a picnic to enjoy on the grounds. Greenbelt will offer light snacks and lemonade. For more information contact Greenbelt at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 978-768-7241.
Since 1961, Greenbelt has been working with local individuals, families, farmers and communities to protect the farmland, wildlife habitat and scenic vistas of Essex County. Greenbelt has protected more than 16,000 acres of local land and has had a direct role in 75% of all land conserved in the last decade. For more information about Greenbelt programs visit www.ecga.org or call 978-768-7241