March 2022 – POP GALLERY, Design of Mine, Stage Fort Park, City Hall, Our Lady of Good Voyage, Washington Street
August 2021 – Splash! Enjoy photographs of Grimdrops jazzy hometown portrait off the Elm Street side of Action, Inc. **new** Harbor Village apartment building in downtown Gloucester, Massachusetts. The large scale commission heralds Gloucester’s upcoming 400th celebration in 2023. The artist was born and raised in East Gloucester.
Artist: Grimdrops [Mike Grimaldi], mural artist residing and working in Salem was born and raised in Gloucester, MA.
Hopefully NSCDSC will consider commissioning an extra add on for Grimdrops so the artist can extend his characterful water motif ideas straight to the top (and maybe add a gal for history! His vibrant notes brought Virginia Lee Burton Mike Mulligan Mary Ann and folly cove pattern references readily to mind). Come winter the mural might be visible from Chestnut Street. Bonus: if it’s topped off it will be visible year round from that vantage.
Gloucester Mural Map | Public Art
Grimdrops mural is on the map! Gloucester murals | Public art Gloucester, Massachusetts.
ABOUT THE ARTIST
About Harbor Village
Harbor Village: a new apartment building developed by Action Inc. and North Shore Community Development Coalition building on 206 Main Street at Elm. This is the second of a few public art commissions for this property via the developers’ ancillary non profit, PUNTA .
About Gloucester 400
Visit – https://gloucesterma400.org/
Efforts to mobilize repairs on the west tower blue dome of Our Lady of Good Voyage are underway. Photos show some of the damage to the inspiring tower that was sustained after the windstorm this week. If you wish to help the cause to restore, on line donations can be made at the church: https://ccgronlineolgv.churchgiving.com/ The Church, all of Gloucester & greater Cape Ann, and all the artists and admirers of Our Lady of Good Voyage around the world would surely appreciate the support!
The Portuguese church of Our Lady of Good Voyage on Prospect Street in Gloucester is resilient. The church was re-built after a catastrophic fire in 1914. Thousands attended the laying of the cornerstone on May 24, 1915. (Less than ten years later, during the year of the city’s tercentenary, parishioners celebrated the mortgage liquidation.) One of our city’s most cherished buildings, the landmark was added to the National Historic Register of Historic Places in 1990.
For more about Edward Hopper work in Gloucester, Mass. see here
For more about Gordon Parks work in Gloucester, Mass. see series 2012-14 here
When the light falls just so on St. Ann’s steeple and Our Lady of Good Voyage domes– thin glints, shimmering, or all out beacon beaming– I try to pull over.
From St. Ann’s to Our Lady even on a hazy day
Many places of worship rang bells in unison this Easter. Did you hear them? Please share if you recorded. Here’s a brief snippet of how the beautiful carillon bells of Our Lady of Good Voyage parish sounded this morning downtown.
As a follow up to yesterday’s post, here is a sampling of the 2020 hand painted Easter eggs by Betty Allenbrook Wiberg and Brenda Wiberg.
And some spring 2020 forsythia, and an Easter Parade clip, just because.
2019 MMordomo’s Manuel and Fatima Silva with Father “Jim” Achadinha
The D.E.S. Portuguese Club celebrates the Feast of the Holy Spirit it is a 700 year old tradition celebrated by the Portuguese people, and has been celebrated at Our Lady of Good Voyage since 1902.
Scheduled events at the DES Portuguese Club at 133 Prospect Street
Thursday June 13th at 6:30 PM – Rosary
Friday June 14th at 6:30 PM – Singing of the Rosary
Saturday June 15th at 5:30 PM the Rosary followed by a Mass
Sunday June 16th at 9:00 AM the procession will start from the DES Club and return to celebrate the Mass at 11:45 AM
Father “Jim” Achadinha and Anita McCarthy and Mark Davis
The Holy Name Society of Our Lady of Good Voyage celebrates the Feast of The Holy Spirit and honors Father Eugene Alves this Sunday June 9th, his niece Anita McCarthy and nephew Mark Davis will stand in his memory, as the 2019 Mordomos.
Reverend Eugene Loring Alves, 87, former Pastor of Our Lady of Good Voyage Church passed away peacefully on February 8, 2019.
Gloucester, Mass.- Great teacher at Gloucester High School, Shaun Goulart, creates a local history scavenger hunt trivia game for his 9th grade students that takes place weekly for 6 weeks. We’re taking the challenge one week after the students. Good luck!
ANSWERS TO SHAUN GOULART’S LOCAL HISTORY TRIVIA WEEK THREE
How did you do? Week three was all about some famous Gloucester FIRSTS and there were many locations. Stop here if you prefer to go back to see Week 3 questions only.
1)The location of Gloucester’s first “Four Year High School”
Principal Albert Bacheler CENTRAL GRAMMAR
2)The location of Gloucester’s first Brick Building?
PURITAN HOUSE built in 1810 by Col. James Tappan* is a historic house at 3 Washington Street and 2 Main Street. Also known as: Tappan’s Hotel, Gloucester Hotel (“Tappan’s Folly”), Atlantic House, Mason House, Community House, Capt Bills (1960s-70s), Puritan House & Pub (1977), Blackburn Tavern (1978-00s) *Tappan was taught by Daniel Webster
Excerpt from prior GMG post (read it here) about scenic tours by bike 1885: “And now let’s take our wheel for a short run along our harbor road to East Gloucester, and note the many points of interest on the way. The start is made at the Gloucester Hotel–the headquarters of all visiting wheelmen in the city–at the corner of Main and Washington streets; from thence the journey takes us over the rather uneven surface of Main street, going directly toward the east. In a few minutes we pass the Post Office on the left, and soon leave the noisy business portion of the street behind us, then, e’re we are aware of it, we reach and quickly climb the slight eminence known as Union Hill…” This brick building at Main and Washington now features Tonno Restaurant. Notice the chimneys and same stairs as when it was the Gloucester Hotel. The Blackburn Tavern sign was just marketing; this building has no connection. Blackburn’s Tavern is now Halibut Point restaurant at the other end of Main Street.
3)The first schoolmaster and town clerk’s house. (private property do not trespass)
“RIGG’S HOUSE” 27 Vine Street (Annisquam) Thomas Riggs House purchased in 1661
oldest house on Cape Ann, Gloucester, MA
4)A list of the first recorded Gloucester fishermen lost at sea. (Hint: 1716)
Look under the year on cenotaph surrounding Man At Wheel
5)The location of the first carillon built in America.
Our Lady of Good Voyage – read more http://gloucester.harborwalk.org/story-posts/sp-20/
Subshop with a view- through Destinos window
6)The location of Gloucester’s oldest surviving burial ground for the First Parish.
1644! – 103 Centennial Drive – top of Centennial Drive near the train bridge
7)The location of Gloucester’s first town hall.
December’s Full Snow Moon, also named the Cold Moon
About the architecture of Our Lady of Good Voyage from the National Park Service –
A fire destroyed the original church in 1914. Prominent architect Halfdan M. Hanson designed and immediately began building the existing, unique Mission style church, which replaced the earlier church. It is the only Mission style church in Gloucester. Modeled after a church in the Azores, Our Lady of Good Voyage consists of two distinct sections: the two-story main worship space that is of a cruciform plan and an L-shaped rectory that extends from the northwest corner of the main worship space. The rectory, which was built between 1872 and 1884 as a separate building, was incorporated into the new church. Resting on a granite foundation, the building is covered in a buff-colored stucco. Flanked by two identical bell towers, the central bay of the façade is pierced by the main entrance at the first level. A rose window adorns the second level, above which rises an ogee pediment supporting a pedestal and a statue of Our Lady of Good Voyage, who holds a boat in her left hand as a symbol of a safe voyage. In 1922, bells were installed in the towers. These bells, still in place today, were cast by John Taylor & Company of England-the same foundry that cast Philadelphia’s Liberty Bell.
Cape Ann Museum, Gloucester, Massachusetts