Chipotle Carrot Soup with Red Apple Balsamic
Sweet Apple Balsamic, Spicy Chipotle Olive Oil and crisp bacon make this soup a real treat!
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 medium onion chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 in rounds
- 1 Tbsp Chipotle Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 3/4 cup water, vegetable stock or chicken stock
- Sea salt
- Fresh, thinly sliced scallions
- 2 Tbsp créme fraîche
- A few thin slices of red chili
- 1 small red apple, julienned
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Lay bacon on a sheet tray and baking rack. Using a pastry brush, brush Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar on both sides. Bake for 20 minutes, basting with more balsamic every 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Heat Chipotle Olive Oil in a medium sauce pan. Add onion and a pinch of salt. Sweat at a medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Add carrots with a pinch of salt and saute for 10 minutes. Add in honey and lemon juice.
- Cover the carrots with water or stock and simmer for 20 minutes until carrots are tender. Purée in a food processor or blender, adding more liquid if necessary to reach desired consistency. Add seasoning if desire.
- Ladle into warmed bowls. Garnish with a dollop of créme fraîche, red apple, bacon, fresh scallions and chilis; drizzle with Chipotle Olive Oil.
- Vegetarian option: Toss apple slices with Red Apple Balsamic Vinegar, scallions, chilis and garnish over créme fraîche.
Cape Ann Olive Oil Co. will ship any balsamic and olive oil. Go to the link below to connect to our website to place your order. We hope you enjoy this recipe! We appreciate your business.
Rick & Patty Gates
57 Main Street
Gloucester, MA 01930-5751