Jingle Bell Storm rise sunrise photos Dec. 23, 2022, about 3 hours before the next high tide: Power is on at Long Beach; Creek level at Good Harbor Beach footbridge; Salty Salt Island; Twin Lights, Thacher Island – sunrise spray and waves; Back Shore
8 AM No power outages reported on Cape Ann – 60,000+ in Mass.- http://mema.mapsonline.net/
9AM Update – 1000+ outages in Gloucester
Photos from 10:00 this morning, about half an hour before high tide.
Another beautiful day on Saturday for the beach until around 4:00 and here comes the clouds.
Rocky Neck before the storm
Clouds over the high school
At the same time sun over the boulevard as the clouds were over the high school
Storm cloud coming right toward Rocky Neck
From East Main Street
A huge shout out to Thacher Island Association and president Paul St. Germain for winning an Essex National Heritage Area partnership grant to restore the elevated pedestrian lighthouse walkway on Straitsmouth Island.
Paul St. Germain writes, “We will restore the original C 1850, 220-foot granite and wooden timber walkway to provide safe and easy access for the public to visit the lighthouse from the keeper house. This walkway has been there since 1854 and was destroyed sometime in the 1930’s. Besides its usefulness it has also been an iconic signature of the island’s profile for over 80 years.”
Facts about Straitsmouth Island Light Station
- First lighthouse was established in 1835 to mark the entrance to Rockport Harbor.
- The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1851 and again in 1896.
- A 6th order Fresnel lens was installed in the lantern in 1857.
- The current Victorian styled keeper house was built in 1878 similar to the one on Thacher Island.
- In 1932 the light was converted from white to green.
- Coast Guard moved the station to shore at Gap Head and sold the island to private parties in 1934.
- Coast Guard continues to maintain the light as an official aid to navigation today. In 1967 the island (except for the lighthouse) was donated to Massachusetts Audubon Society who maintains it as a wildlife sanctuary.
- Straitsmouth Island was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
- In 2010 the lighthouse and 1.8 acres of land was given to the Town of Rockport by the coast guard.
- In 2014 the Town of Rockport signed a long term 30 year lease with Mass Audubon for the use of the keeper and oil houses.
Sun, birds, dogs, trees, it’s all here! CLICK HD FOR BETTER QUALITY!!
(sorry no snowy owl)
Damage everywhere we looked this morning, low tide, about 8am, March 4, 2018. With surf high at low tide, we expect the next high tide to surge more.
Long Beach seawall; Rockport Road; Gloucester and Rockport
Some evident damage to coastal homes in Gloucester MA and front row cottages by Long Beach pedestrian walkway. Surf inside and out found paths of entry.
The Long Beach pedestrian bridge was damaged. The boulder barrier seawall was cut down by half, maybe more.
rip rap exposed as far as the eye can see, Long Beach (looking from Rockport back to Gloucester, MA) Note every platform from the stairs was ripped away
video of surf looking to Gloucester end of Long Beach. Would not risk this walk at storm high tides- note multiple crests with each surge Continue reading “Paths of destruction winter storm damage Riley Long Beach #GloucesterMA”
What an awesome display of Mother Nature’s power.
A look out towards the Wingaersheek sandbar from Lighthouse Beach. The snow is approaching quickly and the wind is up for sure.
Thanks to Betsey and Paul Horovitz for the photo!
Nothing prettier than clean, crisp white snow…other than maybe bright blue, clear ocean water.