The Gloucester Lyceum & Sawyer Free Public Library is holding a public meeting November 15, 6-8pm, seeking ideas about the library’s next steps.
In May and June 2018, the library’s volunteer group, thinkGloucester, held a series of community meetings facilitated by Gloucester Conversations. People were invited “to join these open conversations to share ideas and input for the library’s five-year strategic plan.” I went to one of the meetings which was lightly attended with 12 participants beyond staff, board and facilitators. Further outreach included meetings off site in different wards as well as through social media and on line. Postcards were sent to every residence encouraging participation in an online survey. I’ll look for a link to a summary page of results from that feedback. In the meantime, here’s a link to a message from the Board – Creating our Future an update on the building project, June 2018
More staff, books, better bathrooms, celebrate Saunders, children’s library, local art, archives!
Prior posts about proposed library plans
- Jan 12, 2018 NEW MBLC poster includes preservation examples and combos: https://goodmorninggloucester.org/2017/01/12/new-libraries-of-massachusetts-mblc-poster-includes-preservation-examples-and-combos-zoom-in/
- Jan 10, 2018 Sawyer Free at Crossroads Building Plan meetings: https://goodmorninggloucester.org/2017/01/10/sawyer-free-at-a-crossroads-new-building-meetings-tomorrow-january-11-at-400pm-and-630pm/
- January 3, 2018 Fitz Henry Lane and other art removed from the library building (January 2018): https://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/down-the-lane-fitz-henry-lane-art-shuffled-from-gloucester-sawyer-free-library-to-cape-ann-museum/
- July 13, 2017 MBLC Update on the proposed new building plans- https://goodmorninggloucester.org/2017/07/13/mblc-update-on-the-proposed-new-building-plans-for-the-library/
- June 12, 2017 Spacious and beautiful- Sawyer Free a must see in 1885 travel guide | 123rd Annual meeting tonight! https://goodmorninggloucester.org/2017/06/12/spacious-and-beautiful-sawyer-free-library-a-must-see-in-1885-travel-guide-123rd-annual-meeting-tonight/
- June 2, 2017 “…As we step back from our original plan for a new building, we need to make crucial decisions about the library’s future.” https://goodmorninggloucester.org/2017/06/02/sawyer-free-library-annual-meeting-june-12/
- Jan 3, 2017 – Proposed building plans in the news and plans for what became library’s lovely 1972 Monnell building addition: https://goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com/2017/01/03/no-finer-place-for-sure-downtown-proposed-building-plans-sawyer-free-library-city-hall-whoa-in-the-news-plus-the-1973-appeal-led-by-joseph-garland-universal-access-and-archives/
“Before the current 2015-16 library outreach, the library hosted extensive visioning sessions throughout 2013. I went to a couple, and I was invited to take part in a focus group (on schools and the library.) A completely new library and jettisoning of the historic Saunders library building was not an expressed community value. What were some common discussion points? A strategy for digitization of historic archives and newspapers, more staff, more hours of operation (Sundays), better bathrooms, parking issues, air conditioning, electrical work, maintenance, security, maximizing technology/ content access with schools, ditto Cape Ann TV, and attendance (see this great video from Lisa Smith by kids for kids ) were some goals that were mentioned. So it was a surprise to see…”
- 4/17/09 Original detail saved and restored on beautiful Saunders https://goodmorninggloucester.org/2009/04/17/sawyer-free-library-renovation/