A great Gloucester, built environment, story of renewal.
The devastating fire in an apartment building on Middle street in 2007 killed 1 person, and destroyed Temple Ahavat Achim’s building dating from 1828 and acquired in 1950. Gloucester’s First Parish Church, established in 1738, relocated from Grant Circle and assembled here 1828-1950. The doors salvaged from the burned building and the arch detail referencing the original historic structure were meaningfully incorporated into the synagogue’s new building, designed by Maryann Thompson. How beautiful! Hundreds of years of continuous community faith, hope and unity.
‘Murray’ meeting house | corner of Middle & Dale – postcard, collection C. Ryan