Solomon Jacobs Landing

2020-07-26-1352 Stitch

“Solomon Jacobs Landing & Park were named for Captain Solomon Jacobs, who fished in the early 1900s.
A native of Newfoundland, he was known as the “King of the Mackerel Killers” for his ability to land huge catches of mackerel.
Years ago, this area was filled with dozens of sail lofts, warehouses, fish plants and multi-family houses.
Most of those buildings were demolished in the name of “progress” during Urban Renewal projects of the 1960s and 1970s, and replaced with “modern” structures.
The park was created in 1975 as part of that renewal process.
Today, this is one of the best places to watch the ever-changing boat traffic in the harbor.
New Public Landing
In 1999, the City’s Waterways Board established Solomon Jacobs Landing, the first new public landing in decades.
The Landing includes the pier at the end of the Park and new floats and gangways for public access to the water.
Public landings are to provide places where residents and visitors alike can tie up boats for short periods of time while they buy supplies, eat, or otherwise spend time ashore.
This Landing is also the base tor Gloucester’s Harbormaster.
Plans for additional public restrooms, showers and other improvements are under consideration.”  see Historical Market Project